Preparing for the Portrait Session
Joan Heffler Photography is a full-service professional photography studio specializing in portraits, special events, corporate events and weddings throughout Albany NY’s Capital Region and beyond.
I want your photography experience to be the most pleasant you will ever have. My photography is “painless,” and I believe you will enjoy the time we spend together.
What to wear? How you feel about how you look can make a difference in facial expression, so I want you to feel great! Bring the clothes that do that for you and when worn, your colleagues tell you how great you look.
- Men look great in a light blue shirt and blue suit (please no white shirt and no black suit). If you want to convey power, wear a tie with red in it. (Patterned ties are OK). Ties with yellow and plum/lilac are in now so consider those as well.
- Women think they look best in black or white but that is usually not the case. Black/white washes you out with digital! Women look terrific in long sleeved maroons, greens, blues or earth tones. If you have dark hair, winter colors are best which are strong blues, greens, or reds for example. If you are light skinned, pastels are best – light green, lilac, pink, light blues.
- Choose a color that you know compliments your skin tones. If you’re not sure, think of the clothes you wear that you receive compliments on. Usually, you look good in them because their color brings out your eye color and best facial tones.
- For women, do not bring large dangly earrings or large hoops unless that is the look you want to portray to the public.
- Long sleeves and solid colors are best because they do not draw attention away from the face. Checks, large stripes, herringbone, little checks and loud patterns are a no-no! In general, bring at least two sets of changes.
If you are still not sure, please feel free to call me at (518) 346 – 4485 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am here to help you in all ways. Most often if you have light skin and light hair, complimentary colors are light blues and dark blues, lilac and plum, maroons, light greens and dark greens (red is powerful so be careful). Browns and warm colors are excellent with light and dark brown hair. With jet black hair, think winter colors with brilliancy.
View Larger Map